10. Helen Thomas learned this week that loose lips sink ships. BP learned this Spring that loose pipes sink rigs.
9. It's always dramatic to watch old institutions get hammered for being too slick for their own good. Cases in point: BP and Helen Thomas, Spring 2010.
8. BP and Helen Thomas have at least one similar fan base: Petroleum Exporting Countries.
7. Helen Thomas, venerated White House Press Correspondent, was forced to retire after suggesting that Jews go leave "Palestine" and go back to Germany, Poland and Russia.
Do you think she would still be in hot water if she had instead suggested that BP leave the deep sea oil rigs and let the oil go back into the Earth?
6. The difference between the Tony Hayward (the BP CEO during the Gulf oil spill) and Helen Thomas is, it only took one incredibly stupid, uncivilized comment for Helen
Thomas to get fired.
5. Both BP and Helen Thomas were groundbreaking professionals in their fields, whose impact spilled over into the entire surrounding environment.
4. Helen Thomas' oral vent contained more crude pollution than the BP oil spill.
3. In the American South, deep fried food is a staple part of the diet. At least now they won't have to buy any oil to fry their fish and shrimp.
2. Life's not fair, and there's the comedy: Tony Hayward may have avoided being fried in boiling oil for his awful comments about the BP oil spill, and Helen Thomas got
herself in hot water over her mouth spill.
... and the #1 Helen Thomas and BP oil spill joke is:
1. The jig is up for Helen Thomas. The rig is down for BP.